Can My Ex Choose to Give up His ParentalRights and Stop Paying Support?

Share the Knowledge!

“After nine years my daughter’s father has decided he no longer want to be a part of her life. He has requested to terminate his rights in exchange for no child support. From what I understand if his rights are terminated he is not responsible to pay child support. How often do courts terminate parental rights? I feel if he doesn?t want any contact with her that?s fine but he should still be financially responsible for her.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

He can likely give up his rights (or stop exercising them), but not his responsibilities. Even if he wants to be out of your daughter’s life, he’ll still have to pay support unless someone else adopts. He can’t, through unilateral action, terminate your daughter’s right to be supported by both of her parents.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply