Can I Obtain Child Support From My Ex?

Share the Knowledge!

My husband and I have been together for 14 years. 3 years ago we were separated for 9 months. I signed divorce papers but he never turned them in. I got pregnant during that time, by someone else, and then my husband and I got back together when I was 5 months pregnant. He signed the birth certificate knowing the baby was not his. We are currently divorcing. Can I obtain child support from him?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Since your ex signed the birth certificate, you can go ahead and file a request for child support order. By signing the birth certificate, your ex acknowledged paternity. In doing so, he is legally obligated to take care of the child. Contact a local family law attorney to find out what steps you need to take to move forward with the action.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney