Can I Legally Stop My Daughter’s Visits With Her Alcoholic Father?

Share the Knowledge!

‘My daughter is 14 months old, she goes to her father’s house every other weekend from 6 pm Friday night to 6 pm Sunday night. He is an alcoholic. Is there any way I can get visitation reduced or canceled since our final court hearing isn’t till December?’

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Some courts will mandate drug and/or alcohol treatment as a term of custody agreements. If you have substantial proof that the father’s alcoholism is negatively affecting his ability to parent, then you may
want to consider one of the following options:

(1) If there is a standing custody order, you can petition the court for a modification of the standing custody agreement; or (2) If there is not a court order, contact a family law attorney to discuss your concerns with the father’s ability to parent. You can then seek a court order that will balance your concerns while maintaining the relationship between your child and her father.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.