Can a Minor Be Ordered to Pay Child Support?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

My ex-boyfriend is underage and still in high school. Can he still be ordered to pay child support?

Under most state laws, even if the biological parent is a minor, he/she will likely still be required to pay child support. In order to receive a child support, your ex-boyfriend will be required to take a paternity test to determine if he is in fact the biological father. He may claim to be the father without such testing being administered.

Either way, if he is legally held to be the biological father of your child, you can go forward with requesting a child support order against him. The judge will consider several factors in determining the award of child support. You should consult with a local family law attorney about the possible options you may have regarding the matter.