Am I Able to Obtain Life Insurance for my Child’s Biological Father If we were Never Married?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“From a legal standpoint, would I be able to obtain a life insurance policy on my child’s biological father? I was never married to the child’s father and the child does not carry his last name. However, paternity has been proven and we have received legal child support for several years.”

Question: You may be able to obtain a Court order for biological father to maintain a policy of life insurance for the benefit of your child, or to provide some other security. Absent a court order, or some other insurable interest, you will need his consent to maintain a policy on his life.