How Can I Put the Father’s Name on Her Birth Certificate?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

I had a religious marriage union, but I never legalized it. After a year of being married I gave birth to my daughter. For stupid and ignorant reasons my husband did not put his name on the birth certificate. We thought at that time we would get in trouble or they might go after him for money because we weren’t married. We were young and ignorant. After 3 years of marriage, he was murdered and I was left with just my daughter. She is going to be 18-years-old this year and she is receiving SSI survivors benefits since she was 2-years-old. How can I put her father’s name on the birth certificate after all of these years, even though he passed away?

Because her father has passed away, you may have a more strenuous time trying to assert him as the father of your child. You will need to contact the state entity that administers birth certificates for more information about whether or not it is possible to add a deceased person to a birth certificate. They should provide you with the proper steps to accomplish this task. Note, your state may not permit you to add a deceased person to your daughter’s birth certificate.