Would it be Wise to Call this Person and Notify Her?

Share the Knowledge!

I went to my doctor and asked for a copy of my health record. When I arrived home I noticed I had another patients medical record. The record shows her name, address, telephone number, diagnosis and much more. Would it be wise to call this person and alert her to the fact the physicians group has provided me with her medical information? She is a workman compensation case according to what I have read.

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

If you desire, you can contact the woman and let her know what happened, and/or simply return the record to the doctor’s office. Additionally, you can report the incident to a local or state health care patient privacy agency to inform them about the breach in privacy. Most states have laws that forbid medical professionals from disclosing individual’s health care information to unauthorized parties.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney