Will Signing a Check from my Ex to our Daughter Affect my Social Security (SSI) benefits?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“My Mom is on SSI and just recently got a divorce from my Dad. He sent me a check but it is made out to my Mom. I am wanting to know if she signs it over to me will it affect her SSI? We live in Del Norte County, California.”

Question: Since this is not income to her – she is merely signing it over to you – it does not seem to be income that would be countable for your mother. If your father wants to send you money in the future, he should write the checks directly to you. If this amount is court ordered child support, then it would be reportable income to the SSA that may decrease the SSI benefit.