Will I Receive My Child’s Father’s Tax Return?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

My child’s father said he received a notice from the DHS saying his federal and state tax return was being garnished for back child support. He owes me $4,298.00 but I haven’t received any notices from the DHS. Will I get his tax return? If so, how will I find out or what do I need to do to find out if I will receive his return?

You should contact the DHS and find out if you are eligible to receive the return and what steps you need to take in order to do so. In addition to owing you back child support, he may also owe the agency money.