Who is Responsible for Paying Insurance Back-Pay in a Custody Situation?

Share the Knowledge!

‘My son’s father, my son, and I all have Maryland state insurance. If I took my son’s father to court for child support would he have to pay back-pay for Maryland state insurance or would we both have to pay? He just told me that we would both be stuck paying.’

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

One way to get the answer to this question would be to contact the state’s insurance provider to look into your individual policy and discuss the options available to you. If you are seeking a court-ordered child support agreement, you can also request that the insurance arrangement remain the same in the order. Then, contact a Maryland family law attorney who should be able to answer any questions that remain.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.