What Type of Lawyer Would I Need If I Intend to Bring a Civil Lawsuit Against my University?

Share the Knowledge!

“Can you tell me what type of lawyer might take on a civil case I would like to bring against the university I have attended. The case concerns gross lack of professionalism on the part of a key professor in the music department, which was reported to the administration with no results.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

That depends on what the “gross lack of professionalism” entails. You will need to show that it injured you in some way. For example, if you are also an employee of the university, and it amounted to harassment of some nature, than you would want to consult an employment law attorney. If you are a student, and you just didn’t like the way the professor taught, then you likely would have a hard time showing any injury. If you are a student and you feel that the professor’s conduct deprived you in some way of a benefit that the university was contractually bound to deliver to you, you could possibly consider a breach of contract case.

Again, it will depend on the facts of your case, and the first place to start would likely be a good contracts or personal injury lawyer.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.