What to do When Biological Father Wants to Terminate Parental Rights

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“My daughter is 19 and is pregnant the father of the child wants to sign off his paternal rights. Can this be done? My daughter is a single person who lives at home with her father and myself.”

Question: Many states have laws concerning the voluntary termination of parental rights. Courts can either accept the application or not. It is not necessarily automatic. Though a person can easily decide to not exercise their rights, this does not relieve them of parental responsibilities. Laws vary from state to state, and the Courts take termination of parental right very seriously.