Teen Drug Rehab – Does Ex Need Consent?

Share the Knowledge!

“My 17-year old daughter decided 6 months ago that she preferred to reside at her father’s house. At the time that we were legally divorced, in 1991, it was agreed that we would have joint legal custody and I was awarded physical custody. My ex-husband wants to put my daughter in a drug recovery program. Does he need my consent?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

The more important question here is why would you withhold consent, even if he needed it (which, if push came to shove, he probably would not)?

Even if in your state your ex would ordinarily need your consent because you technically have physical custody, the reality is that your daughter has been in his physical custody for the past six months, she’s less than a year away from turning eighteen, and if your ex husband took you to court over the issue, there is not a court in the country which would not approve teen drug rehab for a teen in trouble, whether the other parent agreed or not.

Recommended reading:
Mom's House, Dad's House: Making Two Homes for Your Child

Share the Knowledge!

Author: Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. is a noted family law expert, Internet law expert, and Professor of Law at Lincoln Law School of San Jose. She is the author of "Surviving Divorce: the Single Father's Guide" and "The Email Deliverability Handbook"

Leave a Reply