Since I am Disabled, Can my Adult Son Claim my Daughter and I as Dependants and Become Head of Household?

Share the Knowledge!

“I was declared disabled in Jan 2007 and began receiving state benefits shortly thereafter. I have two children one is nineteen and the other sixteen. Their dad from whom I am divorced has not paid child support all year. Therefore, Can my son claim myself and my daughter as depedents on his tax return? Also can he be the head of household? This is the first time that I will not have earned wages, only received my disability benefits. Please advise. Thank You.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

This is not so much a question for an attorney as for an experienced tax preparer or accountant. You should find a tax professional who can advise you and answer your questions. If you do not know of any tax preparers, check your yellow pages, or perhaps try H&R Block.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.