Should I File for Divorce?

Share the Knowledge!

I have been married for almost 7 years. The first 2 years of our relationship were great. We have 2 young children. I have been a homemaker since 2004. My husband has become an alcoholic and has talked to other women. There are lots of bad things that have come from what he has done. I know I want a divorce but I don’t know how to come out financially for the better. He is self employed so I wouldn’t want to ruin his reputation by divorcing on grounds of drunkenness because I will need him to pay child support, but I also don’t feel he could care for our children during visitation. How do I protect my children and myself both financially and physically without biting the hand that feeds?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

You should consult with a local attorney who can provide you with legal advice. Depending on your state law and your marital property, you may be able to receive child support and retain a share of the marital property. Again, you should consult with a local family law attorney.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney