My Spouse is Taking her Time Completing our Marriage Separation Agreement, Am I Still Responsible for Paying Our Shared Bills?

Share the Knowledge!

“My wife is “dragging her feet” on the completion of a Marriage Separation Agreement. Am I obligated to pay the mortgage, utilities, and other bills without an agreement in place?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Whether or not you are obligated, it’s prudent to do so, however you should have your lawyer a) file a motion to have the court put a timeline in place for the completion of the MSA, and b) make sure that you are reimbursed for expenses incurred during the separation.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.