My Parental Rights have been Terminated and I Filed an Appeal but Lost, What Can I Do?

Share the Knowledge!

“My parental rights were terminated after five years in New York City family court, I filed an appeal and lost. Now I am in the process of petitioning to have my appeal reconsidered. It’s been seven years. My question is do I have resources if my petition is denied. I was an active participant in my service plan and visitation. My children are now in prospective adoptive homes, separately. What can I do?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

If your appeal is denied, the only place you can go is either back to the same Court or up to a higher one. Sometimes a court can be asked to reconsider its decision. Other times a State Supreme Court (that’s what’s its called in California) will grant cert to review an appellate decision. Procedurally, these would be your options.

As a practical matter, a person representing themselves will have a difficult time figuring out the appellate process, unless they are an appellate attorney, or the Court relaxes the filing requirements, and does some of the research for them.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply