My Mother Wants to Leave her Home to me, Does she Need to Transfer Names on the Tax Declaration?

Share the Knowledge!

“My Mother wants to leave her house to me when she passes away and has decided just to leave money to my brother. Can she put that in her will and just go to Superior Court to change the name on the real estate transfer tax declaration and remove my brother’s name on the card?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

The answer to your question is probably yes. You can certainly use a will to direct how particular assets will be distributed on your death. However, I’m not familiar with the transfer tax declaration procedure that you’re referring to, so I’m not sure exactly how you would go about doing that. However, the attorney who drafts the new will should be able to tell you the correct procedure in your state.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply