My Lawyer Seems to be Taking a Long Time to Finalize my Divorce, What Can I Do?

Share the Knowledge!

“I was divorced from my wife in 1999. Property settlement from the divorce is yet to be finalized because my attorney just will not finish his job. The case has since been handed off to another attorney that works in the same firm but I still can’t seem to get this finalized. What do I do? I stand to recieve a large sum of money that could be and could have been drawing interest since 1999.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Stay on top of them asking for updates until the job is done. Leave a polite message daily. If you are not satisfied with the service, fire your attorney and hire another one to finish it. If you think you have been overcharged for services and you have a balance outstanding, there may be fee arbitration available through the State Bar Association. If you think they have acted illegally or unethically you can also talk to the State Bar about that. If you believe they have committed legal malpractice (and it does not sound like it, though reasonable minds might differ), consult with an attorney specializing in that area of law to see if they think you have a case.

Usually suing or threatening to sue your attorney does not make them work faster or more effectively. It can help you come to a clean parting of the ways to get someone in there to get the result you seek.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply