My Husband Failed to File his Taxes Prior to our Marriage, Am I Responsible for these Past Due Taxes?

Share the Knowledge!

“If my husband failed to file state tax returns prior to our marriage, am I now responsible to pay the past due taxes?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Many states have what is known as an “innocent spouse” status, which provides protection for spouses who are married to someone who has not complied with the various tax requirements. That said, without evoking that status, it’s possible that your assets could be attached by your state’s tax authority. You should consult with a tax lawyer in your state, asap.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.