My Ex Still Has Possession of Some of My Things. Can the Courts Make Him Return Them?

Share the Knowledge!

‘My ex-fiancé, who is also my unborn child’s father, hit me, left bruises on me, and broke my windshield and door panel. We are going to court over this soon. Can I also ask the judge for my television back and also for my cousin’s games that he has borrowed, but never returned?’

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

In domestic abuse cases, some courts will include in the court order the opportunity for the victim to retrieve belongings (with an escort if necessary). This provision will also specify that the abuser is not allowed to be present. In this case, you may wish to contact a family law attorney or the District Attorney in your jurisdiction to guide you through this process and make sure that the arrangement includes returning your belongings.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.