My Ex is Requesting a Paternity Test. Do I Have to Comply?

Share the Knowledge!

‘Four years ago I divorced my now EX-wife and the judge gave me sole parental responsibility of our then 1 year old son. My ex-wife was sentenced to prison soon after and was ordered to take a class (Divorce and its Impact on Children) within 60 days of her release. She also had to comply with supervised visitations until further order by the courts. She was released on Dec 17, 2006 and had not, to my knowledge, completed the course. She violated her probation soon after her release and was giving a 15 year suspended sentence. It was agreed that she go to Drug Rehab instead, from which she was released in Dec 2008. In April 2010 I caught her telling our child that I was not even his real father and that he would soon be living with her. The child was traumatized by this and has since been getting psychological help. She has now filed false charges against me in a motion to gain custody of the child and is insisting I provide a paternity test to prove that I am the father. I, in turn, filed for support. Do I have to allow a paternity test? When we divorced, the judge asked us both if we were married at the time the child was conceived, if we were married at the time the child was born, if my name is on the Birth certificate (it is) and if I was claiming to be the child’s father.’

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

You should fight this. The law on this is pretty complicated, and it will depend on what state’s laws apply. In New Jersey, for example, you may be able to persuade the judge that you should continue to have rights as the boy’s father, even if he is not your biological son, since you have been the only father he has known his whole life. And it sounds like she would be a terrible choice to be the parent who raises him. Get a good, tough divorce and family law attorney to fight for you.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.