In North Carolina, Can my Boyfriend Adopt my Child Without me Giving up Parental Right?

Share the Knowledge!

“I have a 17 yr old daughter that wants my boyfriend to adopt her. Her father said he would sign a paper to give up his rights. My boyfriend would like to adopt her. Can this be done in the state of NC without me giving up my rights?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

That will depend entirely on the laws in the state of North Carolina, and you should consult an adoption attorney in North Carolina. It would, however, probably be easier to do if you and your boyfriend got married first, and if you do it before she turns 18.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.