I’m 18 Now, if I Leave My Parent’s House, Do I Have to Enroll Myself in My Final Year of High School?

Share the Knowledge!

“Hello, I live in Dallas TX, and I recently turned 18 years old.  I am going to be a senior in high school next year. So my question is: if I move in with a relative other than my parents (let’s say an uncle), do I have to enroll myself in school or can I get that relative to enroll me? I’m asking this because I know that even though I’m 18, I’ll be living under someone else’s roof. So I don’t know if that makes me a dependant still or if I’m on my own just because I don’t live with  my parents.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Because you are 18 – legally an adult – in many states you can handle all of these things yourself.  What you should do is call the school district’s office, and ask them this question.  I’m sure they will be happy to hear from such a thoughtful, mature student.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.