If I’m Brought to Court in One State, Can That Effect my Property In Another? What If my Wife Is the One Sued?

Share the Knowledge!

“Sir or Ma’am,

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

1) If I own property in state X and I am brought to court in state Y for a civil tort, can the court issue a judgment lien against my real property in state X?

2) If I own property in severalty (i.e. my wife granted me 100% of her interest in the property when the property was purchased), and my wife is sued, can my separate property be attacked during an attempt to make a collection for a civil tort for which my wife was found liable?”

1) Technically, no, but that doesn’t matter. Once you get a judgment in State Y, you can take it to the courts in State X and get a “Sister State Judgment,” which can then be enforced against the State X property.

2) It depends on the nature of the liability and the laws of your particular state.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply