I Paid Extra Child Support that my Ex Never Received, Can I get that Money Back?

Share the Knowledge!

“I paid extra in child support for 3 years because my ex threatened me. We have just terminated the child support and I found out that while I paid in extra support, the courts did not pay that money out to my ex. What happens to that money? Can I get it back? If my ex had wanted it bad enough he would have filed for it at the time. I wouldn’t complain but it is a lot of money and our child is now living with me.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Without additional information it is unfortunately impossible to answer your question. For example, to whom did you pay the extra child support, and through what system? And where did the extra funds end up?

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.