I Live in South Africa, Can I Sue My Dad for Unpaid Child Support?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“I am 17 years old soon to be 18 and I live in South Africa. I have no idea if you will be able to help me but my mother and father have been in an on gong maintenance (child support) battle for the last 5 years. It has been suggested to me that I myself sue my father for maintenance as I still live with my mother. Is that legal and how do I go about it??”

Unfortunately we can only respond about U.S. law, and have no idea about the child support laws of South Africa. But what we *can* say is that the reality of a given situation is *rarely* what either parent tells their child – because each parent has their own version of reality – and for you to sue your father would be burning forever the parent-child bridge that may still exist between you. We think it’s a very bad idea.