I Filed for Bankruptcy, Do I Still Need to Pay Child Support?

Share the Knowledge!

“I filed for bankruptcy in 1999 and listed my child’s mother as well as other creditors under ch 7. I now have a court order to pay child support to her. Am I obligated to pay her or can I argue that I was released from any obligation under the prior bankruptcy law?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

11 United States Code Section 523 lists nondischargeable debts. Besides student loans, taxes, criminal restitution and others, child support is one of those things that you just do not get relief from in Bankruptcy. One can always make an argument, but this one seems like a losing one.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply