I Feel That My and My Ex-Husband’s House Was Inaccurately Assessed; Do I Have Recourse?

Share the Knowledge!

“During my Massachusetts divorce my now ex-husband’s attorney had a “friend” of hers assess our home for a fee. The assessment was well below what we had paid and we lost all of the $70,000 in equity so I walked away with nothing. Now I see the towns assessment of the property for that year was much higher and there was no recorded loss of equity…I feel like it was unfair and my ex still has the home with all the equity intact-do I have any recourse?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Municipalities and other government agencies are notorious for assessing high, and not even consist with current market values.  After all, the more they say your property is worth, the more tax they can levy.

While the time to object to opposing counsel’s choice of appraiser was before the appraisal was done, you may want to hire your own appraiser to give you their expert opinion based on the other appraisal, the neighborhood, etc. (i.e without actually going into the house) – it would be a relatively small amount of money spent for some peace of mind. ¬†Also, just so you know, it’s not at all uncommon for an attorney to use someone with whom they have worked before.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.