I Believe My Son Was Discriminated Against. Do I Have Legal Recourse?

Share the Knowledge!

‘An after school program run by the public schools just notified me that my son would not be allowed after school care this year. The program administrator called my wife and said that after reviewing his IEP with someone from the state (which I did not authorize) they decided that they could not take care of him because he is autistic and they could no longer meet his needs. He attended the program the entire year last year and did not have a single report of any behavior or any other issues for that matter. I called a day later and without saying who I was asked if they were taking new students for the program. The same person who told my wife that our son was not welcome told me that they are definitely taking new students so I know that overcrowding is not the issue. It seems to me that they are discriminating against my son who is incredibly well behaved, just because he has autism. At this point I would not want them to be in charge of caring for my son, do I have any legal recourse?’

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Your best route at this point would be to call your city, county, or state advocate (or all three) and your state department of education, to talk with their ADA (Americans with Disability Act) coordinator, and also with their offices of Special Ed. Services, to find out how best to file a complaint that your local school is discriminating against your son. You should keep in mind that the decision by the administrator may have been out of ignorance and fear of liability, not out of malice, but that doesn’t change that the outcome was wrong.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.