How to Claim Heir Rights?

Share the Knowledge!

“Recently my first cousins won a lawsuit and claimed 9000 acres that belonged to our great-grandfather. My father and their father are brothers (neither alive). My question is even though I was not involved in the lawsuit how do I claim heir to the property? My brother and sisters do not seem interested in claiming their part but I am.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

This will be entirely dependent upon the property and succession laws in your state. You should contact an attorney who specializes in either estates or property (or ideally both), and have them review the lawsuit brought by your cousins to determine whether you do in fact have a claim. If so, your attorney should then contact the attorney for your cousins, and work it out with them. If they can’t work it out, your attorney can file a claim for you.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. is a noted family law expert, Internet law expert, and Professor of Law at Lincoln Law School of San Jose. She is the author of "Surviving Divorce: the Single Father's Guide" and "The Email Deliverability Handbook"

Leave a Reply