How Do I Transfer My Property Deed?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

I had my deed to my house transferred to my son’s name and now I would like to have it transferred back. How do I do this?

Transferring from your son to you is basically the same process as transferring from you to your son. This time, instead of you signing it over to him, he would sign a deed naming you as the new owner.

You should be careful before doing this, as there may be tax effects of this transfer. Both you and your son should review the transaction with your tax advisor before signing anything.