How Do I Lower My Child Support When I Get a Lower Paying Job?

Share the Knowledge!

“How do I lower my child support when I get a lower paying job?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

You bring a motion with the Court and ask them to lower it. Ideally you will have a lawyer do this, because the Courts are notorious for not playing nice with people who represent themselves in family law, but if you cannot afford an attorney, you should ask the clerk at the courthouse how to file a motion to reduce your child support.

Whatever you do, do not rely on an agreement made with your ex but not signed by the Court. Child support is unique in that, in many states, even if you have an agreement in writing, if it is not cemented by an order of the Court, it is invalid. I know many a person who has reduced their child support following an agreement with their ex, only to have the Court tell them months – and even years – later that they owed a massive amount of back support based on the old amount because the agreement had not gone through the Court.

Recommended Reading (click on the picture for details):
The Child Support Battle : Methods for Fathers to Reduce or Suspend and Get Paid by Paying Child Support

Share the Knowledge!

Author: Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. is a noted family law expert, Internet law expert, and Professor of Law at Lincoln Law School of San Jose. She is the author of "Surviving Divorce: the Single Father's Guide" and "The Email Deliverability Handbook"

Leave a Reply