How do I Go About Acquiring a DNA Test to Prove that He is My Father?

Share the Knowledge!

I live in North Carolina on a Cherokee Indian Reservation. I recently found a man that I believe to be my biological father. How do I go about acquiring a DNA test to prove that he is my father?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

You will need to have a valid legal reason in order to establish paternity. For instance, a legal reason may be that you seek to determine paternity for the issuance of a child support order.

Assuming that you seek to obtain a child support order, you can apply for such services with the appropriate state office, or directly through your tribal government. Further, you may be able to apply for services with both the tribe and the state. Most states and tribes work cooperatively to ensure that children get the support they need.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney