How Do I Get Someone Out of Jail?

Share the Knowledge!

“My fiance was arrested for not showing up for probation from a check forgery charge. The judge put off her hearing for 1 month to get a summary probation report. How can I get her out of jail? What alternative sentencing programs are available?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

If the judge set bail, you can get her out of jail by paying the bail. If the judge set no bail, then you yourself can’t get her out, although a good local criminal attorney familiar with local rules and laws, and the judge, may be able to. That same attorney will be able to tell you what, if any, alternative sentencing programs are available in your area.

Understand that often probation is how you stay out of jail, and violating probation gives you a one way “go to jail, go directly to jail” ticket.

Recommended reading (click on the picture for details):
Criminal Procedure II: From Bail To Jail (The Examples & Explanations Series)

Share the Knowledge!

Author: Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. is a noted family law expert, Internet law expert, and Professor of Law at Lincoln Law School of San Jose. She is the author of "Surviving Divorce: the Single Father's Guide" and "The Email Deliverability Handbook"

Leave a Reply