How Can My Boyfriend Establish Paternity?

Share the Knowledge!

My son is 2-years-old. I listed my boyfriend as his legal father because we were together. However, we were not together when I became pregnant. My boyfriend has filed to petition paternity through the state of Missouri. They keep giving us the run around saying since he signed the birth certificate he is the legal father. He knows he is not and does not have the money to pay for a legal dna test on his own. Will the court require a dna test based on him already being on the birth certificate with him petitioning paternity?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Since your boyfriend has signed your son’s birth certificate, establishing paternity should be a mute claim based on the information you provided. If he has legally claimed your son as his child, then he typically do not need a court order for paternity (but this depends on your state law). You should consult with a local attorney for legal advice.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney