How Can I Legally Get Out Of The Co-Ownership Of My Father’s Property?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

About 35 years ago my father signed over half of his share of land he owned with my mother to me. I want to sell this land but can’t find my mother with whom I’ve never been close, unfortunately. So my question is, how can I sell if I can’t find her?

I would first suggest trying pretty hard to find her, including possibly hiring a private investigator. That’s likely to be cheaper and easier than the alternative.

Legally, if you want out of a co-ownership situation and the other owner won’t (or can’t) cooperate, you would need to file what is known as a partition action. This is a court process for splitting up the co-owned property (or, in many cases, selling it and splitting the proceeds).

Note that your mother would be a party to that kind of lawsuit, so you’ll need to do the detective work either way.