How Can I Divorce My Estranged Husband?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

I have been separated from my husband since 2006. I have no idea where to find him. I don’t even know any of his relatives names! I want to ask him what he wants to do about our marriage. I am currently on disability and don’t have the money to find him or pay for a divorce if that’s what he wants to do. What should I do??

Well, you could continue to look for him, or obtain a skip trace service to do it for you. You could also file for divorce and possibly provide service of process through a newspaper publication pursuant to local court rules. Consult with a local attorney to find out what your legal options are regarding serving him with notice of the divorce, if this is the course you take. If he is properly served, and fails to respond, you may be able to enter a default judgment against him (assuming the court has jurisdiction to hear the matter).