How Can Child Support Be Modified?

Share the Knowledge!

My son-in-law is paying child support for 3 children. He has two children with his current wife. They have no car and are staying with relatives while looking for work. How can he get support lowered to help him get on his feet so he can provide for all of his children?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Your son-in-law can file a petition to have the current child support order modified due to financial hardship. Courts take several factors into consideration when modifying child support. The judge will review the financial standing of both parties in addition to other facts when determining if support should be modified.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney