Does My Wife Have to Provide Me With Notice of a Pending Action?

Share the Knowledge!

My wife supposively filed for back child support. I’m supposed to go to court today. Shouldn’t I have received a summons from the court?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Most states require parties who request an order from the court to provide the opposing party with notice of the hearing for the order (service of process). You mentioned that you have been ordered to appear in court. Did your wife provide you with notice? Depending on your court’s local rules, the court will send a notice of hearing with the time, date, and location. This does not however replace the requirement of service of process (notice by the moving party of an action pending against you). If you fail to appear in court, a judgment may be placed against your interest. Contact an attorney to find out what your legal options.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney