Does My Husband Need a Lawyer to Adopt my Child?

Share the Knowledge!

“My husband have been with me and my son for a long time and my husband wants to adopt my son is their a way he can file for adoption without having to get a lawyer or pay all that money people said it is for adoption?? How can we start these process we need help on how to start working on these???”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

The rules for adoption proceedings vary by state. Almost every state would require the filing a petition for the adoption with a juvenile court. You will likely need biological father’s consent or some other work around. I do not have a specific do it yourself adoption kit to recommend, or particular state resource, but they are out there. Some attorneys and/or adoption services agencies may give a free consultation. There are libraries in your community and on line. Either start researching or start saving to hire an attorney.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply