Does My Husband Have To Pay Child Support Arrears?

Share the Knowledge!

My husband and I have a temporary court order in place. He was ordered to pay alimony and child support. My husband is now arrears and we have decided to get back together. Will my husband still have to pay the arrearage? Or will it all be voided?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Yes. Once the are arrears assessed against a person for failing to pay child support, he/she must satisfy the debt. You can contact the government agency charged with overseeing the child support payments to see if the arrears can be reduced. In the meantime, you may want to look at modifying the child support order. Contact a local family law attorney for legal advice.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney