Does A Parent Still Pay Child Support After Gaining Custody?

Share the Knowledge!

“Should the father still pay child support if the mother met a man and moved to another state leaving the children with the father?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Orders are good until modified. Though an argument can be made in a support enforcement case that support should have been suspended during a period of support obligation because the child resided with the supporting spouse it would be best to change the order now that circumstances warrant it. You should seek a modification of the timesharing and suport orders as soon as possible.

An order in the hand is worth at least two clever arguments in the future.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply