Do I Have to Pay Family Support?

Share the Knowledge!

My husband must pay his ex-wife family support for another three years. His ex has been engaged for three years, and is living with her fiancee. She plans to marry once the payments end. Is there anything we can do to address this situation?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

This will depend on whether your state law provides for a reduction in support if a divorced spouse lives with a significant other, or marries. In most states, if a divorced spouse lives with a boyfriend/girlfriend who provides him/her support, the support order may be modified. There must be sufficient evidence to prove this assertion. FUrther, support orders usually cease when a divorced spouse remarries. Contact a local attorney to find out your rights.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney