All posts in Child Protective Services (CPS)

What Can I Do To Protect My Grandson From His Abusive Father?

My ex-son-in-law lives in Oklahoma where he is registered as an offender. The offense for which he is registered occurred in Texas. Read more [...]

Can Child Protective Services Terminate a Father’s Rights?

Can CPS terminate a father's rights if there was never a birth certificate signed or a right of parentage determined? Read more [...]

Do I Have a Right as a Mother to Deny Any Requests His Father Makes to Come Get Him?

I have recently learned information about my 4-year-old son's father that leads me to think that he is not providing a safe environment while my son is in his custody. We have no legal documents or custody orders of any kind. We all lived together along with my 8-year-old son from a previous relationship, until the summer of 2010. Unfortunately, I do have a history of prescription pill addiction which lead to several arrests. When I got out of jail my oldest son & I moved in with my parents so that I could put most of my focus on improving my way of living. During that time my 4-year-old was staying with his dad about 70% of the time. When his dad understood I was not interested in making things work with him he started to ignore my messages & it only got worse when he learned I was dating. A week or so ago I was advised by a mutual friend of ours that I may want to look into the ex's 'lifestyle.' Which is when I found he had been posting personal ads on craigslist & inviting men he'd never met before to the house to engage in sexual activities while my son is there. I also found emails of his where he was asking a guy for money and said he would perform oral sex. I know I am not educated in the law enforcement field, but I'm almost certain that would be considered prostitution. After consulting with someone I was advised to make an appointment to talk to the sheriff which I did. After giving all the printed information to a detective he interviewed my son and my son didn't give any indication of seeing any of this go on. I was told there was nothing that could be done. I was also told that it isn't illegal to be a homosexual and was pretty much blown off after that. They did however go out and talk to the ex and told him what I had done. I then called DCF and told them and I got the same response. They said they couldn't make a report just because he is having sex. My son has made several sexual comments and body movements. I am terrified that I am going to eventually have to let my son go stay with his dad. I am trying to do everything the right and legal way, but I'm not getting anywhere. I just don't understand why this is not a concern to the authorities. The last thing I want is for DCF to barge in my life, but I would't be doing my duty as a mother if I didn't look into this. I can't with 100% certainty that my son has been exposed to anything, BUT I can't say with 100% that he hasn't. I do apologize for writing so much, but I just don't know what to do. I haven't slept or ate or anything in a week. I have contacted and done all I could think of. I don't believe I'm making something out of nothing, in my heart I know I'm doing exactly what any mother would do. So, I guess my question would be am I correct in thinking what he is doing is criminal? Do I have a right as a mother to deny any requests his father makes to come get him? Who else could I call to have this looked at other than the county Sheriffs office & the Department of Children & Family Services? Should I look into getting an attorney? Any information you could provide will be gratefully received. Read more [...]

How to Handle Custody of My Niece and Nephews So They Don’t Go Into the System

I'm writing to you with a question in regards to my sister's three children that have become a ward of the state. Recently my sister has made some bad choices & due to her streak of bad luck that has followed, DCFS has now become involved, having an open case on them. The social worker claims that the children have not been removed from mother, & that her rights have not been taken, but it is now court ordered that they must reside with mom at my home - ”maternal aunt”? Read more [...]

My Ex’s New Girlfriend is Showering With My Kids, I’m Not Comfortable With This

I have a question about if a girlfriend should be showering with children. I know it may not be a big deal, but there are other factors involved. My husband and I recently got divorced and have moved on. He has dated a woman for about 9 months now. She has been taking showers with my 3 year old when she is at her dad’s house for visitation. I don’t think it is appropriate for her to be taking showers with our daughter or our 1 year old. Read more [...]

Is There a Way to Speed Up Paternity Testing if Child is at Risk?

A child is in Morris Co. NJ DYFS care, no father listed on birth certificate. A man was told he was the father of this child but the mother wanted to wait for paternity testing until she regained custody. Three months later, she has not regained custody. The alleged father calls DYFS, gives them all the information they asked for and is still waiting for the paternity test to be scheduled. Read more [...]