Can My New Husband Adopt My Child?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

I adopted my grandson and I just got married again and want my husband to be on the birth certificate too – is that possible?

Your husband will need to meet with a local family law attorney to find out what the requirements are for him to adopt your grandson. Since you have already adopted him, he may either become the guardian of your grandson, or parent depending on the adoption requirements. Follow-up with an adoption attorney to find out your options.