Can My Mother Transfer Temporary Custody of My Child to My Sister?

Share the Knowledge!

My mom has temporary custody of my child. Can my mom transfer her temporary custody of my child to my sister without my permission while I have parental rights?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

No. Your sister would have to formally request for custody of your child through the family law court. Typically, temporary child custody cannot be verbally transferred without the permission of all parties who have custody and approval of the court. You should contact a family law attorney to speak with him/her about your particular situation in more detail.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney