Can My Husband and I Terminate His Parental Rights?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“My husband is willing to terminate his parental rights to our daughter, I want to do this before filling for divorce in Washington State. Can we do this? And how?”No, you cannot do it. And even if you could, it’s very ill-advised. No matter what you think of him, your daughter will always know that she is half you, and half her father.

Question: Think of how your daughter would feel to think that one parent so didn’t want her that they were willing stop being her parent – and that the other parent thought so little of fully one-half of who she (your daughter) is, that they allowed it?
How selfish can you be?