Can my Ex Reinstate my Parental Rights to Collect Child Support?

Share the Knowledge!

“I signed away my parental rights over ten years ago and now my child’s mother wants to reinstate them to collect child support. Can she do this?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Generally a Court Order termnating parental rights cuts off a rights and obligations towards a child. It does not seem likely that a Court that held it would be in your child’s best interests that your parental rights be terminated 10 years ago could go back in and change its mind without your consent. Missouri Revised Statute Chapter 211-477 6 – “The granting or denial of a petition for termination of parental rights shall be deemed a final judgment for purposes of appeal.”

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply