Can My Ex Demand More Money for Education and a Car for my Child on Top of my Regular Child Support Payments?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“Can my ex sue me for monetary help to provide a car or collage education for my child, in addition to my regular monthly support payments? Would costs of a car be covered in the regular monthly support or could a court grant her money for this? My divorce was granted in Texas.”

Question: In California where I am licensed, the answer is probably not. However if parents agree to certain add-on expenses for the child (i.e. college, piano lessons or a car) that expense is usually split evenly. Consult a Texas attorney about add-on items.